What Is the Best Lubricant for Garage Doors?
Residents in California’s Kern County understand the value of garage doors in their daily lives. For many families, garage doors are the main entryway and exit point of the house, opening and closing many times per day. That’s why proper garage door care is essential, and it all starts with garage door lubrication.
But what is the best garage door lubricant? Are there any advantages of garage door lubricant? The experts at King Door have answers to these questions and more. Read on to learn about the best types of garage door lubricants and why you need regular lubrication for your garage door.
Types of Garage Door Lubricants: Silicone or Lithium
When lubricating your garage door, you may want to grab your trusty can of WD-40 or a similar product, but this will give you undesirable results. These products are penetrating oils, which makes them excellent for cleaning rust and grime off moving components, but that’s where their benefits end. When lubricating your garage door, you should use a product made of silicone or lithium.
Many people ask, “Is silicone lubricant good for garage doors?” This question may arise from a lack of familiarity with silicone as a lubricating agent. The answer is that silicone lubricants are some of the best products you can use when lubricating your garage door.
When shopping for silicone lubricants, look for the phrase “silicone spray.” Many cans come equipped with a thin, straw-like nozzle for accurate spraying. You can use this nozzle to get the silicone spray exactly where you want it, without having to worry about applying too much or missing your target. It’s beneficial when trying to lubricate hard-to-reach places. And the best part is that you can avoid getting your hands covered in grease.
Silicone is long-lasting. You can feel confident knowing your silicone spray is going to keep your garage door lubricated for months. It can withstand temperature and weather changes, making it an excellent choice for year-round garage door lubrication.
Lithium-based lubricants come in the form of white lithium grease. Your local hardware store or garage door specialist may sell it in squeezable tubes or containers with lids. Lithium spray lubricant for garage doors may be available, but it is less common than the hand-application varieties. That means you’ll have to get your hands messy while applying it, but among leading garage door lubricants, white lithium grease will provide satisfying results.
White lithium grease gives you full control over how you apply it to your garage door’s components, despite having to use your hands. You can work it into your garage door’s metal springs, hinges and bearings, providing an even coat. After you do so, your garage door will open and close like a charm.
Since white lithium grease adheres well to metal, it’s not going anywhere once you apply it. Avoid overapplying, as this can attract dirt and dust. A small amount of white lithium grease goes a long way to having a healthy garage door.
The Best Garage Door Lubricant
King Door’s lubrication can is the preferred lubricant for Bakersfield, CA residents. This lubrication can is specifically designed for garage door maintenance. The cap is adjustable so you can control the amount of lube you desire and for accurate application. You can choose to spray on heavy with a strong beam-like spray or you can spray on medium for broader coverage and lite with minimal mist-like coverage. These options help eliminate any unwanted over spray.
At King Door, we stay up-to-date on new innovations to continue improving our products. When purchasing lubrication, you can be sure that the heavy-duty garage door/operator lubricant and rust prevention spray we carry is the best solution for your garage door.
Our research shows that the non-silicon spray is the best option with 53% more oil. Silicon-based sprays can damage your car paint, leaving craters. This damage called “fisheye” is an unattractive occurrence that can happen when dirt, wax, oil, or silicone gets stuck under the paint on your car, causing spots or bubbles in the paint of your vehicle.
How Do You Lubricate a Garage Door?
If you’re new to lubricating your garage door, follow this checklist to guide your process. Have a couple of shop rags nearby if you need to wipe away any excess, and take it one component at a time. Here are the main parts of your garage door you should lubricate.
- Springs: Your garage door’s springs expand and contract with each use. You must lubricate them to keep them from breaking. Locate your garage door springs overhead and lubricate their entire surface. Since you want full coverage, the best lubricant for garage door springs may be hand-applied white lithium grease.
- Rollers: Find the rollers on the sides of your garage doors. They’re the little metal or plastic wheels that roll through the tracks when the garage door opens and closes. Lubricate the metal parts of the rollers, specifically the inside where the wheel bearing sits. The bearings may be challenging to lubricate by hand, so silicone spray might be your best option for lubricating garage door rollers.
- Hinges: Your garage door’s hinges allow the panels to fold and unfold day after day. Keep them lubricated to guarantee smooth functioning. You can use either white lithium grease or silicone spray for this step, but white lithium grease might be your best option to avoid dripping silicone spray on your garage door panels. This stage could be when those shop rags come in handy.
- Locks: If your garage door has locks, keep the locking mechanism lubricated to avoid a sticky or frozen lock. Silicone spray is the best option for lubricating garage door locks, since the thin spray nozzle is perfect for reaching into the locking mechanisms. A quick blast of lubricant in the key slot and the locking shafts should be enough. Wipe away any excess with a rag.
Once you’ve finished these steps, open and close your garage door a few times in a row to work the lubricants into the components.
Benefits of Using Garage Door Lubricant
Why go through the hassle of lubricating your garage door in the first place? Lubricating your garage door every year can go a long way in extending the life of your garage door and automatic opener. Here are a few benefits of using garage door lubricant.
- Volume levels: Is your garage door louder than it used to be? That could be a result of metal pieces grinding together, forcing the opener to work harder. You could enjoy a quieter opening experience after lubricating the above components.
- Smooth operation: Friction between parts of your garage door can cause the opener to struggle. If you have two garage doors, you may be wondering why the one you use daily opens more slowly than the one you only use once a week. That’s because more use equals more friction between moving parts. After lubricating your garage door, your opener may work faster than it did before.
- Longer lifespan: Neglecting to lubricate your garage door can lead to compounding issues. One problem leads to another until you have expensive repair costs to deal with. Lubricating your garage door will protect the door’s essential components like springs, rollers and hinges. This DIY task will remove unnecessary stress on your opener. Everything will work in harmony, extending the lifespan of your entire garage door system.
Contact King Door for Garage Door Lubricant Today
King Door in California is Kern County’s solution for garage door repair, services and installation. We’ve been in business for over 35 years, allowing us to get to know our neighbors and provide high-quality, individualized service. Our professional technicians have a reputation for being clean, prompt and professional.
Come visit our 4,000-square-foot showroom to meet our knowledgeable and friendly staff. Or, you can contact us online for more information. Schedule a service appointment or request an estimate today. We look forward to serving you with all your garage door needs.
LiftMaster Garage Door Battery Backup
It’s easy to take your garage door opener for granted. Day after day, it opens and closes your door as you enter and exit your home — all without thinking about how it works. Then, one day, the power goes out, and your garage door won’t open.
Garage door openers are powered by your home’s electrical system. When your home loses power, so does your garage door opener. In some cases, you may be able to wait a couple of hours for the power to come back on so you can go about your business. But, that’s not always the case.
During the 2017 wildfires in northern California, fire and rescue workers reported that at least five people died because they lost power and couldn’t open their garage door to drive their car to safety. Yes, their garage doors were equipped with a manual override feature, however, for those who aren’t physically capable of using the manual override feature, such as the elderly and disabled, the manual override feature isn’t an option.
In response to this tragedy, the state of California decided to act to protect its residents from future fires and other disasters. The California Senate introduced California SB-969, which requires a battery backup for garage door openers that will allow the opener to work in the event of a power outage.
The bill passed in the California Assembly 64-7 and in the Senate 39-0 and will go into effect later this year. For California residents, it’s important to know how the bill protects you and what you’ll need to do to make sure your garage door opener complies with the law’s guidelines.
If you’re a homeowner looking to purchase a new garage door in California, continue reading to learn more about whether or not you’ll be required to update your garage door opener under California SB-969.
About the New California Garage Door Opener Law (California SB-969)
California SB-969 mandates that all electronic garage door openers installed after July 1, 2019, contain a battery backup that will continue to provide power to a garage door opener in the event that a home loses power. This provides a viable alternative to the manual override feature for those who cannot open their garage door manually.
A garage door battery backup system is a small battery unit connected to the garage door opener. Most of the time, it sits idle — but if you lose power due to wildfires or severe weather, the battery backup is designed to engage the garage door opener, so you can get your car in and out. The battery’s power may not be the same as your electric opener, however, it’s strong enough to raise and lower your door several times during a 24-hour period. This means that during power outages, it’s possible to open your garage and get out of your house in case of an emergency.
Besides mandating that all garage door openers are installed with a battery backup, the new California garage door requirements also state there will be a $1000 fine for anyone who fails to comply with this law once it takes effect. The best way to make sure your new garage door opener is compliant with the bill’s guidelines is to work with an experienced garage door company to complete the installation.
This bill applies to anyone who is in the market for a new garage door opener now and in the future. So, if you’re in the market for a new garage door opener, even before July 1, we strongly recommend purchasing a unit that complies with SB-969. For anyone who plans to buy one down the road, you’ll want to make sure you purchase a unit with this feature. If your opener is installed after July 1, 2019, and does not contain a battery backup, you will be subject to a fine.
What SB-969 Means for California Residents
The garage door battery backup law means any California residents who buy a garage door opener now or in the future must ensure it’s equipped with a battery backup. This does not mean that people who already have an electric garage door opener need to purchase a new one — although that’s never a bad idea if yours is old or isn’t working properly. If you’re in the market for a new opener, pay close attention to what you’re purchasing.
Once you do purchase a garage door opener with a battery backup, you will need to check the battery on a regular basis to ensure it is still charged and ready to take over if your home loses power.
Garage door opener manufacturers have installed features into the battery backup to quickly alert homeowners to the condition of their battery. For example, LiftMaster battery backups are designed with green, orange and red lights to indicate whether the battery is charged or in need of attention. All a homeowner needs to do is glance at the lights to know if their battery is in good working order.
Although this is another item to add to your list of projects, it’s not a hassle once you install it — all you have to do is periodically glance at the unit to make sure it’s charged and engaged properly. If you notice it’s running low or the battery isn’t holding a charge, you can address the problem and easily purchase a replacement.
Why Do I Need a Battery Backup for My Garage Door Opener?
SB-969 was specifically introduced in response to the tragic deaths of five California residents in a wildfire, but there’s a bigger picture that’s important to consider as you’re reading the new law. Anytime your power goes out for any reason — extreme heat, storms or wildfires — your garage door won’t work. Yes, there’s the manual pull cord that should allow you to simply detach the garage door opener and raise the door yourself, but, for older adults or people with a physical disability, manually lifting a garage door just isn’t possible. Installing a battery backup ensures anyone in your home can raise their garage door when they need to.
If you’re in good shape or younger, you may read this and say “I’m fine. This doesn’t apply to me.” Think of it this way: you wouldn’t wait to buy a smoke detector until you saw flames near your home. You purchase and install a smoke detector so you’ll be prepared if the flames ever come. The same is true of a battery backup. You may not think you need a battery backup on your garage door opener now, but who’s to say that you won’t need it if something happens in a year or two?
SB-969 and the battery backup are intended to make Californians safer and prevent future tragedies like the deaths of those five individuals in 2017. It’s also to protect your loved ones who might otherwise be trapped at home if help isn’t nearby. Yes, it’s hard to think about bad things happening, and no one wants to plan on danger, but protecting your family by installing something so simple is a no-brainer.
Can I Add a Backup Battery to My Current Garage Door Opener?
Yes, you can even add a backup battery to your current garage door opener. While SB-969 addresses garage door openers installed on or after July 1, 2019, the safety issues this bill addresses still apply to owners of older units. Even though existing garage door openers will not be subject to fines, the law was passed because it’s something everyone should have in their home.
Adding a battery backup to your current garage door opener is a great way to protect your family from unexpected power outages and the things that cause them. It’s a relatively simple and inexpensive investment that will protect your family for years to come. If your unit is relatively new, then you can simply have a battery backup attached to your unit. If your garage door opener is older, it will depend on its age and the manufacturer. In some cases, you can still install a battery backup on an older unit, but in others, you may have to purchase a new unit in order to have this feature.
If you aren’t sure of the age of your existing garage door opener or if it will be able to support the addition of a battery backup feature, the professionals at King Door can help you figure out what your options are.
Tips for Maintaining Your Battery Backup
Once you’ve had a battery backup installed for your garage door opener, there’s one more step you’ll want to take, and that is to familiarize yourself with your battery backup features and limitations. While it is relatively simple to understand, here are four tips to keep in mind.
1. Get to Know Your Backup’s Safety Features
A number of battery backup options are on the market today, including several from LiftMaster. Once your backup is installed, take some time to read your owner’s manual. Know how much power your battery has and how many times you’ll be able to open and close your door using it during a power outage. Make sure you know how often you should check the battery to ensure it’s operating properly. If you don’t understand something or have questions that aren’t answered in your owner’s manual, don’t hesitate to ask a qualified garage door specialist for more information.
2. Know How to Tell If the Battery Isn’t Charging
Your battery backup comes equipped with features designed to let you know if it isn’t charging correctly or needs to be replaced. Besides the green, orange and red lights incorporated into the LiftMaster backup systems, their battery backups are also equipped to emit a series of beeps when the battery needs to be recharged or replaced.
Make sure to learn what those beeps mean and then make sure to respond when you hear them. Just like a smoke detector beeps when it needs a new battery, so will your garage door opener battery backup. And just as those beeps are a call to action to maintain your smoke detectors, use them as a call to action to maintain your battery backup, as well.
3. Replace the Battery Regularly
Depending on how often you need to use the battery backup, you’ll replace the battery every one to two years. This is something you can do yourself, so familiarize yourself with the process. If you aren’t sure where to start, ask your installation technician when the battery backup — or unit containing the battery backup — is installed. It’s easy to ignore this chore in favor of doing other things, but it’s not something you should neglect. Making battery backup maintenance a regular part of your home maintenance routine can save the lives of people you love.
4. Learn How to Manually Operate Your Garage Door
SB-969 was specifically written in response to the tragic deaths of individuals who were unable to manually unable to open their garage doors. However, in many cases, homeowners are capable of manually opening their garage doors. If you are physically capable of manually opening your garage door, make sure you are familiar with the manual override features, so you can operate the door in case of emergency. If you or a loved one in your home is not able to use this feature, be sure to check your battery backup system more frequently to ensure it is working correctly.
Contact King Door Company for LiftMaster Battery Backup Openers
By enacting SB-969, the state of California is working to protect its residents, but that protection still requires you to act. If you are in the market for a new garage door opener — or you want to make your existing opener compliant with the new law — King Door’s team of professional installers is ready to help you make the switch. Offering a variety of LiftMaster Battery Backup Openers, King Door is committed to helping you choose the right product at the right price. On July 1, 2019, SB-969 will take effect. Once it takes effect, homeowners who purchase and install a new garage door opener will be held accountable for making sure they have a working battery backup in place.
Primarily serving Kern County, King Door offers a large inventory of garage doors and parts, many of which we keep on our service trucks. This means we’re often able to complete installation and repair services in one trip, saving you time and money. Our technicians are professionals who have been well-trained and bring years of experience and dedication to the job, ensuring your installation will be completed correctly and efficiently.
If you’re considering a battery backup for an existing or new garage door opener, let King Door walk you through the process. We’re happy to answer your questions and help you make sure your garage door opener complies with SB-969. For more information, call us at 661-397-2744 or contact us online today.
Wood & Faux Wood Garage Doors in Kern County, CA
Are you looking to upgrade your home’s garage door? If you’re like many folks, you love the classic, natural look of wood — wood garage doors have long been a popular choice for homeowners in Bakersfield and throughout Kern County. Typical materials include redwood, Douglas fir and cedar. As an alternative to real wood, you can also choose faux wood garage doors consisting of a steel core with a wood overlay. It’s hard to tell the difference between a high-quality faux wood and a genuine wood garage door.
Should I Get a Wood or a Faux Wood Garage Door?
Having trouble deciding whether a faux wood or wood garage door is the better choice for your home? Evaluation of the following factors can help you make an informed decision:
- Consistent appearance: Although a well-crafted faux wood door will closely match a wood door in visual appeal, not all faux wood products offer the same level of quality. A natural wood door will provide a more attractive presentation than a poorly made faux wood door.
- Reliability: Faux wood doors tend to hold up better over time than their wood counterparts. The steel core provides more effective protection against the elements and will resist damage from vehicle collisions. While both types are extremely durable, faux wood doors are more resistant to cracks and moisture.
- Customization: Unlike faux wood doors, natural wood products are typically made to order. The buyer has a greater opportunity to create a product to their specifications. On the downside, homeowners often must wait longer for their door because of the extra time required for customization.
- Maintenance: Faux wood garage doors are easier to maintain than wood doors — they’re less susceptible to rotting as well as damage caused by moisture, insects and the elements. On the other hand, you’ll need to repaint, resand and reseal a wood door every two to three years to keep it in peak condition and extend its lifespan.
- Cost: Factors such as the expense of cedar and redwood and the customization process result in a higher price for wood doors. Faux wood doors are also faster and easier to install, which contributes to a lower upfront cost.
- Resale value: While the purchase price for a natural wood garage door may be higher, you could recoup the cost when the time comes to sell your home. Many buyers prefer genuine wood and are often willing to pay more for a residence with a wood garage door.
King Door Company, Inc.: Your One-Stop Source for Wood and Faux Wood Garage Doors in Kern County
King Door carries a wide selection of beautiful wood and faux wood garage doors from Clopay®, known as North America’s #1 residential garage door. Our friendly, knowledgeable staff can also help you determine which type will work best for your home. Feel free to stop by our Bakersfield showroom for a closer look and to meet our team. You can also contact us online to learn more.
Glass Garage Doors in Kern County, CA
When you’re in the market for a new garage door for your Kern County, California, home, you probably think of products made from traditional materials such as wood or steel. However, did you know you can purchase a garage door made of glass? More architects and homeowners are choosing glass garage doors to achieve a sleek, modern look for the home’s exterior. Glass has a way of making a residence appear warm and inviting — and a glass garage door will surely attract the attention of passersby.
Are Glass Garage Doors Safe?
Safety is a primary concern when considering a glass garage door for your home. You’re probably wondering if the glass will hold up against the impact of severe storms and hail. What would happen if someone accidentally runs into the door with a vehicle? Won’t it be easier for people — including burglars — to see inside?
While it’s true that glass garage doors aren’t as impact-resistant as those made from metal or wood, they’re less dangerous than you probably think. You can purchase a door made with tempered glass, which is a form of safety glass that’s chemically or thermally treated to enhance its strength and durability. It’s much tougher than untreated standard glass. You’ll find tempered glass in car windows and shower doors, and it even serves as a component in bulletproof glass.
Although tempered glass isn’t shatterproof, it does over a distinct advantage over traditional glass. When it shatters, it creates particles that are much smaller and not nearly as sharp, which significantly reduces the risk of injury. To alleviate privacy concerns, you can choose from various forms of frosted, tinted or mirrored glass to keep people from seeing inside your garage.
What Are the Benefits of Glass Garage Doors?
Homeowners in Kern County and elsewhere are choosing glass doors for a variety of reasons:
- Natural lighting: The transparency of glass doors enables sunlight to enter and brighten an otherwise dreary garage space. You also won’t need to use the interior electric lighting as much, which will lower your utility bills.
- Curb appeal: Glass creates a clear, modern appearance that will make your home more attractive. It can also make it more appealing to prospective buyers when you put your home on the market, which can increase the resale value.
- Customization: Glass doors are available in a wide variety of styles and colors, allowing you to achieve the ideal look that complements your home’s exterior decor.
- Low maintenance: Glass garage doors typically consist of aluminum frames that resist rust and don’t require protective coatings. The only preventive maintenance steps involve wiping the glass panels periodically to remove dirt and smudges.
King Door Company, Inc.: The Best Place to Buy Glass Garage Doors in Kern County
King Door has been providing high-quality garage doors to homeowners in Kern County since 1985. We feature the Cloapy® AVANTE® Collection of contemporary tempered glass and aluminum windows that will dramatically improve your home’s curb appeal. Visit our Bakersfield showroom for a closer look or contact us to learn more today.
Eco-Friendly Garage Doors in Kern County, CA
If you’re like a lot of folks in Bakersfield and Kern County, California, you’re trying your best to be a good steward of the environment — and that includes making your home as eco-friendly as possible. You recognize that going green helps to preserve our natural resources and make your home more energy-efficient. Installing Clopay® eco-friendly garage doors is one way you can contribute to a healthier environment and potentially save a lot of money on your utility bills.
What Are Environmentally Friendly Garage Doors?
Green garage doors now play a prominent role in the designing of new homes and when upgrading existing structures. They exhibit the following characteristics:
- Structural integrity: The term “structural integrity” refers to an object’s ability to withstand weight and force without breaking. Clopay’s® eco-friendly garage doors are designed and built to handle extreme wind and other destructive forces. The result is a longer door lifespan, which conserves materials and resources by preventing the need for a premature replacement.
- Material efficiency: Environmentally friendly garage doors like the ones made by Clopay® often consist of materials such as recycled wood fibers, scrap steel and polystyrene that perform just as well as new components.
- Energy efficiency: Green garage doors typically contain insulation and weatherproofing to help maintain the garage at the ideal temperature throughout the year. A climate-controlled garage also prevents excessively warm or cold air from seeping into the home’s exterior.
- Manufacturing efficiency: Clopay® eco-friendly doors are the product of efficient manufacturing processes that leave a smaller environmental footprint and comply with all relevant EPA guidelines.
Why Should You Consider Installing an Eco-Friendly Garage Door?
Installing a green garage door on your Kern County home can deliver a host of benefits:
- Lower utility bills: Because green doors help to prevent heat gain and loss, your home’s HVAC system won’t have to work as hard. That translates to lower energy costs.
- Reduced ownership costs: The quality and durability of today’s environmentally friendly garage doors make them easy to maintain and helps eliminate expensive repair bills. It also lengthens the time between door replacements.
- Enhanced curb appeal: Eco-friendly doors come in a wide variety of beautiful styles and colors that will dramatically improve your home’s exterior appearance.
Why Choose Clopay® and King Door Company, Inc. for Green Garage Doors in Kern County?
King Door has been providing an assortment of eco-friendly home building products in Kern County since 1985. We’re proud to offer Clopay products, known as America’s No. 1 garage door. Eco-friendly Clopay garage doors come in numerous attractive styles to match any home’s exterior decor. As a Clopay authorized dealer, we can sell and install your door and provide expert maintenance and repair service for as long as you own it.
Get a Closer Look at Our Selection of Environmentally Friendly Garage Doors
We invite you to visit the fully appointed King Door showroom in Bakersfield for a closer look at our green garage door collection. You can also give us a call at 661-397-2744 or contact us online for more information.
How to Open Your Garage Door During a Power Outage
Most people don’t even think about their automatic garage door opener not working during a power outage. We just expect it to faithfully go up and down when we press the button.
If the power goes out, you may need to disconnect your automatic opener to manually open your garage door. Familiarize yourself with the process in advance to avoid having to search frantically for the garage door instruction manual in the dark.
Steps to Open Your Garage Door During a Power Outage:
- Disconnect or unplug your automatic garage door opener when the garage door is closed.
- Pull the emergency cord to disconnect the garage door opener from the door. The cord usually has a red handle and will hang down from the center rail of the garage door mechanism.
- Lift the garage door straight up until the door is fully open. Make sure the door will remain open on its own. If the springs are properly balanced, the door will open easily and stay in place. If it’s difficult to open, have a garage door service professional inspect the door to avoid further damage or safety risks.
- Close the garage door manually and lock it. The garage door isn’t securely shut until you manually slide the lock bar.
- Reconnect the automatic garage door opener when the power comes back on. Make sure the door is unlocked when the opener is reconnected. Opening the garage door with the lock bar in place can cause major damage.
Garage Door Maintenance After a Storm
- Inspect your garage door for damage after the storm. Make sure the track mount hasn’t pulled away from the wall. Look for bent or damaged sections and loose hardware. If you have a wood door that has water damage, have it repaired right away so the door doesn’t rot or warp.
- Invest in an automatic garage door opener that includes a battery back-up feature. That way, when the power goes out, the garage door will still function using the opener, as will the entry keypad and safety sensors.
Contact King Door, your local garage door company, if you ever experience damage or if you have any questions about the safety of your garage door during a storm. Call us at
(661) 397-2744 or fill out our Contact Us form!
Keep Your Bakersfield, CA Home Safe with Security Shutters
Security Shutters for Homes in Bakersfield, CA
When you think of security shutters, you might think of the security gates or steel curtains retail centers pull down at the end of the day. While security shutters are widely installed for commercial purposes, they’re becoming more popular as a long-lasting, durable layer of home security.
Having an ineffective or weak home security system can lead to persistent safety concerns, damaged valuables and loss of irreplaceable personal items. Doors and windows with security shutters installed act as both an intimidating visual and sturdy physical deterrent to home intruders. By installing security shutters for your Bakersfield, CA home, you’re assured the most effective, dependable and lasting home security solution.
Keep Your Home Secure With Security Shutters
Security shutters for homes aren’t noisy, rusty or unattractive. They are manufactured from high-quality steel or anodized aluminum and are available in a wide range of design options and styles to complement your home’s exterior and meet your unique security needs. When you install security shutters for your Bakersfield home, you can expect one-of-a-kind security solutions as well as the following benefits:
- Exceptional Burglar-Proof Security: When intruders are targeting a home, they’re looking for properties with poor security efforts and weak points for easy home access with minimal detection. Homes with security shutters not only look complicated to break into, but they’re nearly impossible to be tampered with — security shutters are an unbreakable layer of protection.
- Quality Exterior Protection: Not only can home security shutters not be tampered with, but they also prevent vandalism and broken windows. Security shutters are crafted from durable metal materials that are sturdy as well as fire resistant. If a burglar attempted to break into your home by using fire to weaken your door and window structure, they’d find the effort useless since the security shutter would refuse to give. In addition to their exceptional reliability, security shutters are also useful daily devices and can shade your home and keep your indoor temperature comfortable.
- Design Variety: Some homeowners may be hesitant to install security shutters for their home because of fear of decreased curb appeal, but security shutters are available in a wide variety of different color options. By blending your security shutters’ coloring into your home’s facade, they’ll integrate seamlessly into the exterior and won’t decrease your home’s aesthetic. When selecting a color for your security shutters, you’ll also have the option of choosing an operating mechanism that works best for your needs and expectations. Security shutters are available in pull-down, hand-crank and motorized options.
Choose King Door for Home Security Shutters in Bakersfield
At King Door Co., we’re dedicated to offering the most dependable, durable security shutters for homes throughout Bakersfield, CA. With our quality Clopay security shutters, you’re guaranteed lasting protection, resilient home security and peace of mind that your home will always be protected against unwanted intruders. We’re a locally owned and operated company with over 30 years of experience throughout the Bakersfield community, and we’re thrilled to provide affordable, personalized garage door solutions along with quality repair, installation and maintenance services.
Request your free service estimate or give us a call at 661-397-2744 to learn more about how security shutters can help protect your home.
Keep Your Business Secure with Security Shutters
Security Shutter Installation Professionals Serving Bakersfield, CA, Businesses
When you own a business, it’s crucial to ensure the safety and security of your property, merchandise and employees. Poor business security leads to lost or damaged merchandise and destroyed property, such as windows and doors, as well as lingering doubt and uncertainty about the long-term protection and quality of your company.
As a Bakersfield, California, business owner, you don’t have to settle for rising vandalism rates and ongoing fear that your property will be regularly burgled. Invest in high-quality security shutters intended to improve safety and provide lasting, reliable protection.
Keep Businesses Secure With Quality, Durable Security Shutters
If you’re a proud Bakersfield business owner, then improve your security efforts by installing a dependable, strong security shutter. Security shutters are mounted above a doorway, window or opening and easily roll down by hand, crank or motor to cover an opening and provide lasting protection. No matter what type of business you own or manage, a security shutter can be easily adapted and customized for your daily usage and security. Security shutters are ideal for storefronts and retail centers, pharmacy counters, restaurants and cafeterias, concessions stands, cashier areas and product cases.
These shutters are crafted from either steel or anodized aluminum for superior heavy-duty use and resistance. Anodizing is a process for adding a protective coating to aluminum materials by electrostatically oxidizing the metal’s surface. Anodized products are attractive and maintain the metal’s natural luster, are harder and more durable than non-anodized materials, and will never peel or wear through.
By having a security shutter constructed from anodized aluminum, you can experience the following benefits:
- A material that will not break down, decompose or corrode
- A non-toxic product that is safe for long-term daily use
- An environmentally friendly security solution that can be recycled after use
Benefits of Installing Commercial Security Shutters in Bakersfield
By installing new commercial window shutters for your Bakersfield business, you’re assured longlasting protection and security. They can help you avoid break-ins at your business and provide peace of mind that your property will stay safe and remain appealing for customers. With security shutters keeping your business secure, you’ll also experience:
- Year-round security and a physical and visual deterrent to unwanted intruders
- A unique, sturdy locking system that will keep your door soundly secure
- Door and window protection from inclement climates and windborne debris — customization options are available to meet specific wind codes
- Added insulation from noise pollution, extreme heat, high winds and other outdoor conditions
- Easy daily use with exceptional construction ensuring smooth operations and customized with either manual or motorized mechanisms
- Improved privacy for your property to guarantee security and protection
- Added curb appeal with a variety of colors to choose from, allowing you to customize your security shutters to enhance the look of your business
Choose King Door, Your Locally Owned Bakersfield Garage Door Dealer, Today
King Door Co. is Bakersfield’s solution for improved business security — ensuring lasting protection, durability and peace of mind. We offer a variety of different security shutters to suit your business needs from leading commercial door manufacturers, such as QMI and Clopay. Our team of highly skilled and knowledgeable commercial garage door technicians will work closely with you to find and install quality security shutters or garage doors that will improve your business’s security for years to come. All our security shutters have been extensively tested against the harshest climates and conditions to ensure lasting durability and finishes.
To learn more about our commercial security shutters, check out our page and call us today at 661-397-2744 to speak to a team member or complete our online contact form to request additional information. You can also request a free service estimate by filling out our online form.
6 Tips for Keeping Your Pet Safe Around Your Garage Door
Pets are a part of the family, which is why you’re crazy about keeping them safe — and as pet owners, we are too.
That’s why we’re sharing six tips to keep your pets safe around garage doors:
1. Protect Your Garage Door’s Components
Cats, as well as dogs, are notorious for their chewing habits. That’s why it’s vital that you protect any exposed components of your garage door, such as wiring. If you find that Mr. Fluffers went to town on your garage door’s automatic opener wiring, hold off on using your garage door and instead call a professional to inspect your door and complete any repairs.
2. Install Your Pet Door Away From Your Garage Door
For many homeowners, a pet door is a wonderful convenience. It lets your dogs come and go, providing them free access to your backyard, as well as gives your cats a bit of freedom. When it comes to garage doors and pet safety, however, it’s critical that you install your pet door away from your garage door. Use your garage’s entry door, for instance, or the door to your patio.
3. Know Your Pet’s Schedule and Favorite Spots
If your pets do use your garage as an escape, know where they go. This garage door pet safety tip often applies to cats more than dogs, as felines are more liable to sleep on your garage door when raised — but if your dog likes to lay where your garage door rests when its opened, keep track of this, too. Our best advice? Try to deter your pets from using your garage.
4. Enable Your Garage Door’s Automatic Sensors
A mandated feature on all garage doors is automatic sensors, which initiate the reversing mechanism. This mechanism stops your garage door from closing when something’s caught by the sensors, such as your cat’s or dog’s tail. Make sure you have your automatic sensor on and then test it. We recommend a roll of paper towels or toilet paper.
5. Schedule Your Garage Door’s Annual Maintenance
Another way to keep pets safe around garage doors is through preventative maintenance. Aim for a check-up once a year from your trusted garage door provider. They’ll inspect and test your door, as well as take care of any issues, such as a worn torsion spring or faulty automatic sensor. It’s tempting to skip your door’s annual maintenance, but when it comes to garage doors, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
6. Get Your Home a Quality Garage Door
Practicing garage door pet safety begins with a quality garage door. Visit King Door Company–your local garage door expert, talk to our staff, and learn about our practices. You want a garage door company that values not only your safety but that of your pets. Our approach reveals a lot about our company, as well as our practices. The result? A reliable, quality garage door that keeps you and your pets safe.
Trust King Door Company, Inc. for Pet-Approved Garage Doors
At King Door Company, Inc., we’ve provided the Bakersfield, CA community and surrounding area with honest, quality care and high-quality garage doors for more than 30 years. With an experienced team of representatives and technicians, we ensure you receive everything you need to keep your pets safe around your garage door, from preventative maintenance services to emergency care.
Learn more about our services by contacting us today!
Garage Doors & Child Safety: 3 Tips You Need to Know
We love the adventurous side of our children, from roaming across their swing set to cruising through the park on their bike. That sense of adventure, however, can lead to trouble. And while your child may interact with your garage door each day, such as by watching you use the garage door opener, it’s essential to learn how to keep your children safe around garage doors.
How can you ensure your child’s safety around garage doors? With these three garage door tips:
1. Schedule Regular Maintenance for Your Garage Door
We often underestimate the load our garage doors handle, as well as how hard they work. Like our cars, they require regular maintenance. That’s why it’s essential to invest in preventative maintenance for your garage door, providing your family the opportunity to catch issues before they develop into life-threatening ones, such as a weak spring that eventually fails.
In most cases, you’ll want to schedule an annual check-up for your garage door, unless you or your family notice the following symptoms:
- Abnormal noises
- Uneven door
- Manual opening difficulties
If your door’s damaged in any way, such as a dent from a delivery person, you should also request repairs as exterior damages can impact your door’s balance.
2. Check Your Garage Door’s Safety Features
A vital tip for keeping children safe around garage doors is reviewing your garage door’s manual and safety features. Following your door’s installation by a professional, it’s tempting to tuck the manual away in a drawer, but reading and testing those safety features is a must-follow garage door safety tip.
What features should you test first? A universal one — the reversing mechanism. This mechanism is familiar to everyone, and you’ve likely seen it in action too. If you recall a time when you dropped an item and went to close your garage door with your opener, only to watch it stop and return to its open position, then you’re familiar with the reversing mechanism.
Test your door’s reversing mechanism by grabbing a small household object, such as a roll of paper towels or toilet paper. Lay it down across your door’s threshold, or where it rests when closed. Press your garage door opener and wait for the reversing mechanism. If your garage door does not stop and instead lowers onto your test object, check to see if your automatic sensor is off — if it is, contact a garage door professional right away.
3. Choose a Reliable, Quality Garage Door for Your Home
Another critical tip for garage doors and child safety is the type of door you choose for your home. From start to finish, you need to prioritize quality. Work with a reputable garage door company in your area, ensuring they provide honest advice that’s unmotivated by sales quotas. You’ll also want to make sure the company installing your garage door maintains a qualified team of technicians.
By incorporating a reliable and quality garage door into your home, you’re building on your plan to keep your children safe around your garage doors.
Choose King Door Door Company, Inc.
King Door Company, Inc. has been performing safe garage door installations in Bakersfield, CA for more than 30 years. In the three decades since our start, we’ve continued to deliver on our values of honest, quality care that goes above and beyond for your family. That’s why we offer affordable preventative maintenance programs that can ensure the proper operation of your door and minimize the risk of injury to your children and family.
Do I Need an Insulated Garage Door in California?
You live in an area that offers near-perfect weather conditions. Most of the country can only dream of the temperatures experienced in the Bakersfield, CA region. Above-freezing temperatures in the winter and 70’s in the fall and spring make you wonder why anyone would consider insulated garage doors. Are they worth it?
A Look at the Weather
Let’s first consider the season we haven’t mentioned. Summers in California bring temperatures of up to 100 degrees. Then, let’s go back to those winter temperatures. While they may stay above freezing most of the time, 40 degrees is still fairly cool. It’s important to keep these extremes for July and January in mind, realizing that the average temperature of 65 degrees does not occur every day. There are many times of year when insulation is necessary to maintain comfortable surroundings despite cold or hot air outside.
In either of these situations, you definitely want to keep the outdoor weather where it belongs — outside. You don’t want it creeping through your garage and into your house.
The ideal solution is an insulated garage door. Why? It offers several advantages.
Benefits of Insulated Garage Doors
If you’re asking yourself “Do I need an insulated garage door?” consider the following advantages you could enjoy:
- Energy Efficiency
Your garage connects to other parts of your house. It may have rooms above it and living areas adjacent to it. However, garages have different construction standards than other parts of the home. They have less insulation. This means the garage is a great source of energy loss. Your air conditioning and heating can easily escape through the garage. Additionally, the garage allows outdoor air to enter your home.
An insulated garage door acts as a buffer to prevent this air flow. Since your garage is one of the least energy efficient parts of your home, an insulated garage door helps regulate the temperature inside your garage — as well as inside your living space.
As a result, you save energy. You’re no longer wasting heating or cooling that is simply overpowered by a poorly insulated garage. It makes your home’s HVAC more efficient and your overall energy use more green.
An added benefit of this energy efficiency is lower heating and cooling bills and less strain on your HVAC system. When it is operating more efficiently, an HVAC system is less likely to need repairs and is more likely to have a longer lifespan. The final result is significant overall savings on your utilities.
Did you know insulated garage doors have a different construction than uninsulated doors? Insulated garage doors are lightweight and efficient, yet they are strengthened by their insulation to withstand wear and tear. Insulated doors have an added layer of polystyrene or polyurethane. This prevents the normal sagging, bending and ripping that often occurs over time with uninsulated doors, and it extends the life of the garage door.
Consider what a garage door typically endures. Storms and outdoor debris can cause extensive damage to garage doors. Even though Bakersfield, CA sees few rainstorms, wind and sunlight can still cause wear and tear. Additionally, forward and backward bumps from cars and kids playing ball against the door all take their toll. However, the added insulation makes the door more durable to withstand these conditions and situations.
An insulated garage door offers protection for you, your home and your belongings in several ways. First, it offers insulation against temperature. This helps protect any items you have stored in your garage. Do you keep any chemicals, cleaners or other liquids in the garage? Extreme heat or cold can cause dangerous situations for some of these products. By insulating your garage door, you prevent these extremes and make your garage a safer place to store these items.
The regulated climate can also protect your vehicle. When a car is exposed to extreme temperatures, a host of systems can be affected. Cold weather is harsh on belts, liquids, brakes electrical systems and tires. Hot temperatures make the interior uncomfortable to enter, and it can also be harsh on accessories such as window tinting and electronics. By keeping the temperature in your garage more comfortable, you save your car from some of this wear and tear and make it more welcoming to drive in the middle of a hot afternoon.
An insulated garage door can also add a level of security to your home. Older, uninsulated doors may be easier to break into. A durable, insulated door can help protect your home against potential thieves by offering a stronger barrier.
- Noise Reduction
How loud is your garage door? All garage doors make some noise, but lightweight doors without insulation are often the noisiest. This sound can be particularly disruptive if the garage is located under a bedroom. Waking a sleeping spouse, child or infant by opening and closing the garage door is a situation most people want to avoid. Insulated garage doors are quieter. The insulation offers a sound muffling advantage to keep your entries and exits more peaceful.
This sound buffer is also helpful to keep sounds inside the garage. If your garage acts as a game-watching man-cave, tool shop, ping pong arena or other noisy space, an insulated garage door can allow you to enjoy these activities without disturbing others.
The reverse works, too. If you spend a lot of time in your garage, your insulated garage door can help muffle any sounds from the exterior. If you want peace and quiet for hobby time, working out or other garage activities, your insulation helps provide a quiet environment.
- Temperature Control
Does your garage face east or west? If so, it probably heats up quite a bit in the mornings or evenings. This can make it difficult to keep warm air out and cold air in.
An insulated garage door helps keep this temperature more constant. Rather than becoming a sweatbox in the summer and an icebox in the winter, your garage temperature is better regulated.
- Alternate Use
Because your insulated garage door helps regulate the temperature, you can more easily use this space for something other than car storage. If you want to set up a living space or complete projects in it, you can do so more comfortably.
If you will be spending a lot of time in the space, an insulated garage door can also provide a more aesthetically pleasing atmosphere. These doors offer attractive finishes that will complement your living space. With an insulated garage door in place, you can transform the area into a comfortable workshop, bonus room, bedroom, craft room or other hobby space to enjoy.
Did you know garage door replacement offers one of the highest returns on investment among all home remodeling projects? Homeowners recoup, on average, 98.3 percent of the cost at resale. That means you get to reap all the benefits of an insulated garage door, and it ends up costing you almost nothing.
For ROI comparison, consider two other common remodels, kitchens and baths. A midrange major kitchen remodel offers an average return of 59 percent, and a midrange bathroom remodel recoups 70.1 percent. With such a great payoff, replacing your old, uninsulated door with a new, insulated door is a clear win.
- Pest Prevention
A mouse only needs a space the size of a dime to enter your home. An insulated garage door can help keep rodents out of your house.
It will be harder for pests to slip in through the garage door and set up their nest in your space. This can save you time and money on traps, poisons and calls to the exterminator. It also offers peace of mind, as you are surrounded by a more pleasant environment.
Can’t I Just Insulate My Current Garage Door?
To insulate your garage door, it is possible to add insulation to your current door. However, this is not a recommended solution. To do this, you must add insulation material to a door not designed to hold it. Additionally, insulation options such as insulation foam are typically created with flat spaces in mind. If applied to a garage door, the insulation material is subject to constant folding and bending. Over time, the insulation can flake or unravel. You’ll probably have to re-apply the insulation regularly. This could become costlier than purchasing a new door already equipped with insulation. It could also prove to be time-consuming.
Adding insulation to a door also adds weight. This can cause a weakening of the springs and cause the door to dip or break.
That means the better solution is to simply purchase an insulated garage door. Properly equipped with insulation, this design holds up better over time and offers fewer maintenance issues.
What Type of Insulated Garage Door Is Best?
If you’ve considered the question, “Do I need an insulated garage door?” and have determined this is a good solution for your home, the next decision you need to make is which type of insulated garage door to choose. Your two main options are steel doors and wooden doors.
A steel door offers several advantages:
- Low maintenance – Steel doors require little maintenance, making them a popular choice among homeowners seeking simple solutions. They withstand weather and use well.
- Energy efficiency – Steel garage doors offer high-quality insulation values that increase your energy efficiency.
- Economy – Steel insulated garage doors are typically more affordable than wooden doors. If you are seeking a more economical solution, steel is probably the best option.
- Design – Steel doors are available in many design options to suit many tastes and settings. With so many options, you’re likely to find something fitting for your home.
Wooden doors also offer distinct advantages:
- Custom-design – Wooden doors are often used to add a custom look to the home’s exterior. Wooden garage doors can be fit to match unique architectural designs. Their customization makes them a popular choice for homeowners who seek a personalized touch for their garage.
- Curb appeal – As a high-end option, wooden doors are often viewed as an attractive feature that can increase curb appeal and thus the value of the home.
- Sound-proofing – While any insulated garage door will reduce noise, wood offers better sound-deadening qualities than steel.
Since either material offers similar benefits of insulated garage doors, the ultimate decision typically boils down to your personal taste and budget for your door.
What About R-Values?
As you consider various insulated garage door options, it’s important to understand the terminology used to rate these doors. A garage door’s R-value indicates how well it will insulate your garage. It measures the door’s resistance to heat flow. The higher the R-value, the better the resistance.
Consider how you plan to use your garage as you decide what level rating you should seek for your door. If you will be using this area as living space, look for better ratings. If you don’t spend a lot of time in your garage, you may be happy with a lower rating. Keep in mind, though, that higher R-values help with energy efficiency in your garage and the attached home. The experienced professionals at King Door Company can use their extensive knowledge to help with this decision.
Your final step in selecting an insulated garage door is to locate a reliable company to supply your new door. It’s essential to choose a business that is worthy of your trust, will deliver what you need and will provide excellence in service and products.
King Door offers a long track record of success, with an extensive list of satisfied customers. We attribute our winning service to our distinct service advantages:
- Extensive experience – King Door has been an industry leader for over 30 years. The original owner, Roman Ruiz, still runs the company today.
- Professional excellence – Our highly trained technicians offer in-depth knowledge of insulated garage doors. Our employees arrive in clearly marked company vehicles to serve our clients with professionalism.
- Superior service – The King Door team is always available to answer questions. We make customer care our top priority.
- Accessible showroom – We offer a 4,000 square-foot showroom and parts store so our customers can view their options first-hand.
- Virtual design – Our customers can use a unique door imagination system to virtually try out new insulated garage doors on their home.
- Manufacturer warranties – Our quality products are all backed by trusted manufacturer warranties.
- Modern innovations – King Door offers the latest designs and technology. We continuously strive to improve our products to deliver energy-efficient, green ideas.
To start reaping the benefits of an insulated garage door, talk to an expert at King Door. Our insulated garage door expertise is unparalleled in the industry. Reach one of our experienced staff today at 661-397-2744 or through our quick contact form.
When Do I Need a New Garage Door?
Your garage door is a key aspect of your home’s exterior. It’s also integrated into your daily activities. Homeowners typically take both of these facts for granted. If you’re like many homeowners, you may miss signs you need a new garage door. This is because homeowners often overlook garage doors until they no longer work.
Once the door starts experiencing problems, homeowners wonder if they should repair or replace the door. Some even ignore the issue and simply hope the door continues to function. Others are unhappy with the appearance of their garage door but don’t want to spend the money on a new one if the old one still works.
The truth is, replacing a garage door can save time and money and raise the value of a home. While it can be a significant investment, these benefits make the project worth completing sooner rather than later. Therefore, it’s important to ask yourself: “How do I know I need a new garage door?”
Garage Door Getting Old? Time for a New One
If you’re wondering if it’s time to replace your garage door, watch for the following garage M.O.N.S.T.E.R.S. If you notice one or more of these red flags, it’s time to get a new garage door in your Bakersfield, CA-area home.
Does your garage door require significant maintenance? It’s a good idea to properly care for your garage door, and this includes regular maintenance. However, if your garage door needs lots of repairs and has become unreliable, it’s time to invest in a new one. Frequent maintenance on a door that should be retired can quickly add up to the cost of a new door. Stop pouring resources into your old door and install a new, reliable one that will require little maintenance for years to come.
Consider the appearance of your garage door:
- Does it match the rest of your home’s exterior?
- Does it add to your home’s curb appeal?
This is especially important to note if you have completed any exterior remodeling. Too many homes offer a gorgeous front entry, new windows and beautiful siding accompanied by an old garage door. Homeowners overlook this feature, either because they want to save time and money or they undervalue this piece of the home’s exterior.
This feature frequently makes up at least 40 percent of the façade of the house. Don’t let an outdated garage door detract from the appeal of your home’s exterior. If it doesn’t mesh with the architecture, get something that does.
This issue is challenging for homeowners to navigate since all garage doors make some noise. How can you tell if it’s too noisy? A new garage door runs smoothly and is relatively quiet. Over time, it may run louder. If you notice that your garage door has experienced a sudden noise increase, it is time to service your door. It is ready for an overhaul, at a minimum. It may need to be replaced.
How long does it take to open your garage door? When you push the button, do you experience a delay? While it might not be as fast as your smart phone, a healthy garage door should spring into action as soon as you activate the controls. If this is not the case with your door, you should have it serviced by a professional to determine if repairs are needed or if it’s time to replace the door.
Exposed to the elements, garage doors suffer from wear and tear. Dents, scratches, fading and other damage create a tired exterior. If your garage door has weathered car accidents and severe thunderstorms, it might look worse for the wear. You can repair dings for a while, but eventually, these imperfections take over the door and create an unattractive appearance you and your neighbors can’t ignore.
How high are your utility bills? Have they increased? Older garage doors lack modern insulation techniques that could save you a bundle on air conditioning and heating. Old weather stripping and bottom seals may have worn out. To reduce your utility expenses, consider replacing your old garage door with a new one that offers top-quality insulation for maximum energy efficiency.
Some homeowners decide to transform their garage space to make it something other than vehicle storage. If your garage is, or will soon be, a workshop, man-cave, patio area, garden shed or other repurposed space, you probably need a new garage door. Modern garage doors are available in contemporary designs that include stylish windows and beautiful finishes. These could greatly enhance your remodeling plans.
New garage doors have built-in safety features, including automatic reversal if they come into contact with an object while closing. If your door lacks these features, you are taking unnecessary risks. Modern doors also offer additional security. They help keep your belongings and family safe from both the weather and potential burglars. If you want better safety and security performance from your garage door, it’s time to get a new garage door in Bakersfield, CA.
Enhance the Value and Look of Your Home with a New Garage Door
Your garage door has a huge impact on the curb appeal of your home. If you want to know how to raise the value of a home, look into garage door replacement. It can complete a makeover and send your property’s curb appeal through the roof. In fact, garage door upgrades rank in the top five home improvement projects that generate the greatest return on investment. On average, these projects offer a return on investment of over 90 percent. This return is so great because of the significant impact a garage door can make on the exterior of the home:
- It offers balance: When a garage door doesn’t match the rest of the home’s architecture, the entire exterior is unbalanced. Homeowners often put a lot of effort into their front door but neglect the garage door. When you consider how much bigger and more prominent the garage door is, this doesn’t make sense.
- It offers curb appeal: If your garage door is a bland afterthought that blends in with the rest of the home, you’re not getting the most out of it. This feature is the first thing you see when you pull into the driveway and makes up a significant portion of the home’s exterior. With modern finishes, you can easily create an attractive combination of home and garage. Choose vintage details, unique finishes, attractive panels and other designs to make your garage stand out.
- It offers historic charm: How old is your home? The right garage door can help preserve a home’s original character. Has anyone altered its exterior since its original construction? Replacing the garage door can restore its charm. Hand-crafted garage doors, like those from Clopay, offer style and quality that make your home distinct. When you build it to your specifications to match your home’s style to a T, your new garage door can create stunning curb appeal.
- It offers resale value: Few features have the power to impact the curb appeal of your home like the garage door. If you are wondering how to raise the value of a home, a new garage door is key. When a home features a sharp exterior, it is more attractive to buyers. The new garage door makes a sale more likely, and it helps increase the price buyers are willing to pay.
A garage door that provides an attractive exterior, reliable functionality, safety and security pours instant equity into the home. You’ll see a great return when buyers are instantly attracted to your property. On the other hand, being greeted by an older, uninviting garage door can easily turn off buyers.
What Type of Door Should You Get?
Custom options for modern garage doors are nearly limitless. This might make choosing a new garage door difficult. Following are a few of the most popular options and the advantages each offers. Keep in mind that appearance is only one concern as you choose a garage door. Functionality and longevity are also top considerations.
The best-selling doors today are steel. They are very durable. The material is rust-proof and resistant to dings and dents. Steel garage doors are also fairly affordable. They typically cost less than other types of garage doors.
These designs are growing in popularity. Reminiscent of actual carriage-house doors, these offer windows at the top of the door and charming handles in the center. The attractive design of this style can provide a boost to a home’s curb appeal.
Like steel, this material is dent resistant. However, it is more rust proof than steel. It is also lighter, making the door easier to maneuver. Aluminum can also be designed to mimic the appearance of painted wood.
This material offers the most possibilities for customization of your garage door. It is flexible in terms of design, and it looks elegant and distinctive. Since wooden garage doors can be pricey, many homeowners choose faux wood, which provides the look of wood for a lot less money.
Insulated Garage Doors
No matter what material you choose, it’s important to consider insulation for your garage door:
- Do you have a room over the garage?
- Are any of your family members light sleepers?
Insulating your garage helps control the temperature of any rooms over the garage. It also makes the garage door quieter. To reduce both noise and utility costs, consider a well-insulated door.
How Can You Select the Best Garage Door for Your Home?
After reviewing the options and deciding you want to get a new garage door in Bakersfield, CA, the next step is finalizing your selection process. Even within each category of style and materials, there are myriad options. Since this upgrade can completely makeover your home and boost your curb appeal, it’s important to choose wisely. Here are a few tips to help you with this process.
Make It a Virtual-Reality Combo
It’s great to shop virtually for a garage door. Review your options online to get an idea of what you prefer. However, before you make a final selection, visit a King Door’s showroom. Garage doors may look different in person than they do on a website. Viewing them in reality will help you narrow your selection and ensure you choose a style you like.
Try It Out
Are you having a hard time picturing a new garage door on your home? Modern online design tools let you try the door on your home before you buy it. Clopay’s Door Imagination System allows you to upload a picture of your home, design a door and see what it would look like on your house.
Take a Tour
If you have an idea of what style you would like for your new garage door, look at other homes with the same design. King Door can provide reference homes to drive by. Seeing the garage door installed on a property can help you determine if it’s the right style for you.
Consider Other Factors
As mentioned previously, appearance is not the only thing to consider when choosing a new garage door. Also think about:
- What material will work best for your lifestyle and location?
- Which direction does your home face?
- Do you need extra insulation to withstand hot afternoon sun?
- Does your driveway see a lot of sports activity that may damage an easily dented door?
Choose the door that best matches your lifestyle.
Make Your Home Safer and More Efficient with a New Garage Door
Aesthetically, your new garage door can increase your home’s curb appeal and resale value. It can also boost your property’s energy efficiency and safety. Here’s how:
- A new garage door saves energy. With better insulation and construction, your new garage door can reduce utility costs.
- A new garage door is more durable. If you choose a well-insulated garage door, you will not only reduce your utility bills but also increase your garage door’s durability. You will enjoy greater longevity from your investment.
- A new garage door is quieter. A smoothly operating, insulated door offers a reduction in noise level for your home. Enjoy fewer interruptions and quieter surroundings.
- A new garage door helps protect your car and belongings. A modern door offers better construction and technology to keep your garage protected from the elements. It also provides strong materials to keep out intruders.
- A new garage door adds convenience. If you plan to use your garage for something other than vehicle storage, a new door can make this space more comfortable. You won’t have to bake in the sun as you work in your shop if you have a nicely insulated door. You can enjoy extra sunlight through the windows of a carriage house door. The new door creates a more versatile space to use as you choose.
Why Choose King Door for Your Garage Door Replacement?
You’ve answered three important questions. How do I know I need a new garage door? When do I need a new garage door? And what style is best if I get a new garage door in Bakersfield, CA?
The final step is to choose a trusted company for your garage door replacement. You want someone who offers experience, in-depth knowledge and superior service.
King Door offers a long history of successful projects and an extensive list of satisfied customers. Our multiple service advantages include:
- Over 32 years in the business. The original owner still runs King Door today. We are a trusted leader in the industry.
- Excellence in service. Our staff is always available to answer questions or address concerns. Customer care is our top priority.
- Highly trained professionals. Our technicians offer in-depth knowledge of our products and arrive in clearly marked company vehicles.
- Accessible showroom. King Door offers an 11,000 square-foot facility with a 4,000 square-foot showroom and parts store.
- Door Imagination System. Use Clopay Doors’ unique tool to virtually try out a new garage door on your home.
- Product warranties. We only sell products of proven quality backed by trusted manufacturer warranties.
- We respect your property and work hard to ensure you are happy. If a problem occurs, we immediately focus on the solution. Our team then follows up with prevention measures rather than try to place blame.
- King Door is constantly striving to improve our products with energy-efficient, green ideas and the latest in designs and technology.
When you’re ready to enhance your home with a new garage door, get in touch with the experts at King Door. Contact us today at 661-397-2744 for a quote. We’ll walk you through the process and help you find the perfect door for your property.