How to Open Your Garage Door During a Power Outage
Most people don’t even think about their automatic garage door opener not working during a power outage. We just expect it to faithfully go up and down when we press the button.
If the power goes out, you may need to disconnect your automatic opener to manually open your garage door. Familiarize yourself with the process in advance to avoid having to search frantically for the garage door instruction manual in the dark.
Steps to Open Your Garage Door During a Power Outage:
- Disconnect or unplug your automatic garage door opener when the garage door is closed.
- Pull the emergency cord to disconnect the garage door opener from the door. The cord usually has a red handle and will hang down from the center rail of the garage door mechanism.
- Lift the garage door straight up until the door is fully open. Make sure the door will remain open on its own. If the springs are properly balanced, the door will open easily and stay in place. If it’s difficult to open, have a garage door service professional inspect the door to avoid further damage or safety risks.
- Close the garage door manually and lock it. The garage door isn’t securely shut until you manually slide the lock bar.
- Reconnect the automatic garage door opener when the power comes back on. Make sure the door is unlocked when the opener is reconnected. Opening the garage door with the lock bar in place can cause major damage.
Garage Door Maintenance After a Storm
- Inspect your garage door for damage after the storm. Make sure the track mount hasn’t pulled away from the wall. Look for bent or damaged sections and loose hardware. If you have a wood door that has water damage, have it repaired right away so the door doesn’t rot or warp.
- Invest in an automatic garage door opener that includes a battery back-up feature. That way, when the power goes out, the garage door will still function using the opener, as will the entry keypad and safety sensors.
Contact King Door, your local garage door company, if you ever experience damage or if you have any questions about the safety of your garage door during a storm. Call us at
(661) 397-2744 or fill out our Contact Us form!
Keep Your Bakersfield, CA Home Safe with Security Shutters
Security Shutters for Homes in Bakersfield, CA
When you think of security shutters, you might think of the security gates or steel curtains retail centers pull down at the end of the day. While security shutters are widely installed for commercial purposes, they’re becoming more popular as a long-lasting, durable layer of home security.
Having an ineffective or weak home security system can lead to persistent safety concerns, damaged valuables and loss of irreplaceable personal items. Doors and windows with security shutters installed act as both an intimidating visual and sturdy physical deterrent to home intruders. By installing security shutters for your Bakersfield, CA home, you’re assured the most effective, dependable and lasting home security solution.
Keep Your Home Secure With Security Shutters
Security shutters for homes aren’t noisy, rusty or unattractive. They are manufactured from high-quality steel or anodized aluminum and are available in a wide range of design options and styles to complement your home’s exterior and meet your unique security needs. When you install security shutters for your Bakersfield home, you can expect one-of-a-kind security solutions as well as the following benefits:
- Exceptional Burglar-Proof Security: When intruders are targeting a home, they’re looking for properties with poor security efforts and weak points for easy home access with minimal detection. Homes with security shutters not only look complicated to break into, but they’re nearly impossible to be tampered with — security shutters are an unbreakable layer of protection.
- Quality Exterior Protection: Not only can home security shutters not be tampered with, but they also prevent vandalism and broken windows. Security shutters are crafted from durable metal materials that are sturdy as well as fire resistant. If a burglar attempted to break into your home by using fire to weaken your door and window structure, they’d find the effort useless since the security shutter would refuse to give. In addition to their exceptional reliability, security shutters are also useful daily devices and can shade your home and keep your indoor temperature comfortable.
- Design Variety: Some homeowners may be hesitant to install security shutters for their home because of fear of decreased curb appeal, but security shutters are available in a wide variety of different color options. By blending your security shutters’ coloring into your home’s facade, they’ll integrate seamlessly into the exterior and won’t decrease your home’s aesthetic. When selecting a color for your security shutters, you’ll also have the option of choosing an operating mechanism that works best for your needs and expectations. Security shutters are available in pull-down, hand-crank and motorized options.
Choose King Door for Home Security Shutters in Bakersfield
At King Door Co., we’re dedicated to offering the most dependable, durable security shutters for homes throughout Bakersfield, CA. With our quality Clopay security shutters, you’re guaranteed lasting protection, resilient home security and peace of mind that your home will always be protected against unwanted intruders. We’re a locally owned and operated company with over 30 years of experience throughout the Bakersfield community, and we’re thrilled to provide affordable, personalized garage door solutions along with quality repair, installation and maintenance services.
Request your free service estimate or give us a call at 661-397-2744 to learn more about how security shutters can help protect your home.
Keep Your Business Secure with Security Shutters
Security Shutter Installation Professionals Serving Bakersfield, CA, Businesses
When you own a business, it’s crucial to ensure the safety and security of your property, merchandise and employees. Poor business security leads to lost or damaged merchandise and destroyed property, such as windows and doors, as well as lingering doubt and uncertainty about the long-term protection and quality of your company.
As a Bakersfield, California, business owner, you don’t have to settle for rising vandalism rates and ongoing fear that your property will be regularly burgled. Invest in high-quality security shutters intended to improve safety and provide lasting, reliable protection.
Keep Businesses Secure With Quality, Durable Security Shutters
If you’re a proud Bakersfield business owner, then improve your security efforts by installing a dependable, strong security shutter. Security shutters are mounted above a doorway, window or opening and easily roll down by hand, crank or motor to cover an opening and provide lasting protection. No matter what type of business you own or manage, a security shutter can be easily adapted and customized for your daily usage and security. Security shutters are ideal for storefronts and retail centers, pharmacy counters, restaurants and cafeterias, concessions stands, cashier areas and product cases.
These shutters are crafted from either steel or anodized aluminum for superior heavy-duty use and resistance. Anodizing is a process for adding a protective coating to aluminum materials by electrostatically oxidizing the metal’s surface. Anodized products are attractive and maintain the metal’s natural luster, are harder and more durable than non-anodized materials, and will never peel or wear through.
By having a security shutter constructed from anodized aluminum, you can experience the following benefits:
- A material that will not break down, decompose or corrode
- A non-toxic product that is safe for long-term daily use
- An environmentally friendly security solution that can be recycled after use
Benefits of Installing Commercial Security Shutters in Bakersfield
By installing new commercial window shutters for your Bakersfield business, you’re assured longlasting protection and security. They can help you avoid break-ins at your business and provide peace of mind that your property will stay safe and remain appealing for customers. With security shutters keeping your business secure, you’ll also experience:
- Year-round security and a physical and visual deterrent to unwanted intruders
- A unique, sturdy locking system that will keep your door soundly secure
- Door and window protection from inclement climates and windborne debris — customization options are available to meet specific wind codes
- Added insulation from noise pollution, extreme heat, high winds and other outdoor conditions
- Easy daily use with exceptional construction ensuring smooth operations and customized with either manual or motorized mechanisms
- Improved privacy for your property to guarantee security and protection
- Added curb appeal with a variety of colors to choose from, allowing you to customize your security shutters to enhance the look of your business
Choose King Door, Your Locally Owned Bakersfield Garage Door Dealer, Today
King Door Co. is Bakersfield’s solution for improved business security — ensuring lasting protection, durability and peace of mind. We offer a variety of different security shutters to suit your business needs from leading commercial door manufacturers, such as QMI and Clopay. Our team of highly skilled and knowledgeable commercial garage door technicians will work closely with you to find and install quality security shutters or garage doors that will improve your business’s security for years to come. All our security shutters have been extensively tested against the harshest climates and conditions to ensure lasting durability and finishes.
To learn more about our commercial security shutters, check out our page and call us today at 661-397-2744 to speak to a team member or complete our online contact form to request additional information. You can also request a free service estimate by filling out our online form.
6 Tips for Keeping Your Pet Safe Around Your Garage Door
Pets are a part of the family, which is why you’re crazy about keeping them safe — and as pet owners, we are too.
That’s why we’re sharing six tips to keep your pets safe around garage doors:
1. Protect Your Garage Door’s Components
Cats, as well as dogs, are notorious for their chewing habits. That’s why it’s vital that you protect any exposed components of your garage door, such as wiring. If you find that Mr. Fluffers went to town on your garage door’s automatic opener wiring, hold off on using your garage door and instead call a professional to inspect your door and complete any repairs.
2. Install Your Pet Door Away From Your Garage Door
For many homeowners, a pet door is a wonderful convenience. It lets your dogs come and go, providing them free access to your backyard, as well as gives your cats a bit of freedom. When it comes to garage doors and pet safety, however, it’s critical that you install your pet door away from your garage door. Use your garage’s entry door, for instance, or the door to your patio.
3. Know Your Pet’s Schedule and Favorite Spots
If your pets do use your garage as an escape, know where they go. This garage door pet safety tip often applies to cats more than dogs, as felines are more liable to sleep on your garage door when raised — but if your dog likes to lay where your garage door rests when its opened, keep track of this, too. Our best advice? Try to deter your pets from using your garage.
4. Enable Your Garage Door’s Automatic Sensors
A mandated feature on all garage doors is automatic sensors, which initiate the reversing mechanism. This mechanism stops your garage door from closing when something’s caught by the sensors, such as your cat’s or dog’s tail. Make sure you have your automatic sensor on and then test it. We recommend a roll of paper towels or toilet paper.
5. Schedule Your Garage Door’s Annual Maintenance
Another way to keep pets safe around garage doors is through preventative maintenance. Aim for a check-up once a year from your trusted garage door provider. They’ll inspect and test your door, as well as take care of any issues, such as a worn torsion spring or faulty automatic sensor. It’s tempting to skip your door’s annual maintenance, but when it comes to garage doors, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
6. Get Your Home a Quality Garage Door
Practicing garage door pet safety begins with a quality garage door. Visit King Door Company–your local garage door expert, talk to our staff, and learn about our practices. You want a garage door company that values not only your safety but that of your pets. Our approach reveals a lot about our company, as well as our practices. The result? A reliable, quality garage door that keeps you and your pets safe.
Trust King Door Company, Inc. for Pet-Approved Garage Doors
At King Door Company, Inc., we’ve provided the Bakersfield, CA community and surrounding area with honest, quality care and high-quality garage doors for more than 30 years. With an experienced team of representatives and technicians, we ensure you receive everything you need to keep your pets safe around your garage door, from preventative maintenance services to emergency care.
Learn more about our services by contacting us today!
Garage Doors & Child Safety: 3 Tips You Need to Know
We love the adventurous side of our children, from roaming across their swing set to cruising through the park on their bike. That sense of adventure, however, can lead to trouble. And while your child may interact with your garage door each day, such as by watching you use the garage door opener, it’s essential to learn how to keep your children safe around garage doors.
How can you ensure your child’s safety around garage doors? With these three garage door tips:
1. Schedule Regular Maintenance for Your Garage Door
We often underestimate the load our garage doors handle, as well as how hard they work. Like our cars, they require regular maintenance. That’s why it’s essential to invest in preventative maintenance for your garage door, providing your family the opportunity to catch issues before they develop into life-threatening ones, such as a weak spring that eventually fails.
In most cases, you’ll want to schedule an annual check-up for your garage door, unless you or your family notice the following symptoms:
- Abnormal noises
- Uneven door
- Manual opening difficulties
If your door’s damaged in any way, such as a dent from a delivery person, you should also request repairs as exterior damages can impact your door’s balance.
2. Check Your Garage Door’s Safety Features
A vital tip for keeping children safe around garage doors is reviewing your garage door’s manual and safety features. Following your door’s installation by a professional, it’s tempting to tuck the manual away in a drawer, but reading and testing those safety features is a must-follow garage door safety tip.
What features should you test first? A universal one — the reversing mechanism. This mechanism is familiar to everyone, and you’ve likely seen it in action too. If you recall a time when you dropped an item and went to close your garage door with your opener, only to watch it stop and return to its open position, then you’re familiar with the reversing mechanism.
Test your door’s reversing mechanism by grabbing a small household object, such as a roll of paper towels or toilet paper. Lay it down across your door’s threshold, or where it rests when closed. Press your garage door opener and wait for the reversing mechanism. If your garage door does not stop and instead lowers onto your test object, check to see if your automatic sensor is off — if it is, contact a garage door professional right away.
3. Choose a Reliable, Quality Garage Door for Your Home
Another critical tip for garage doors and child safety is the type of door you choose for your home. From start to finish, you need to prioritize quality. Work with a reputable garage door company in your area, ensuring they provide honest advice that’s unmotivated by sales quotas. You’ll also want to make sure the company installing your garage door maintains a qualified team of technicians.
By incorporating a reliable and quality garage door into your home, you’re building on your plan to keep your children safe around your garage doors.
Choose King Door Door Company, Inc.
King Door Company, Inc. has been performing safe garage door installations in Bakersfield, CA for more than 30 years. In the three decades since our start, we’ve continued to deliver on our values of honest, quality care that goes above and beyond for your family. That’s why we offer affordable preventative maintenance programs that can ensure the proper operation of your door and minimize the risk of injury to your children and family.
Do I Need an Insulated Garage Door in California?
You live in an area that offers near-perfect weather conditions. Most of the country can only dream of the temperatures experienced in the Bakersfield, CA region. Above-freezing temperatures in the winter and 70’s in the fall and spring make you wonder why anyone would consider insulated garage doors. Are they worth it?
A Look at the Weather
Let’s first consider the season we haven’t mentioned. Summers in California bring temperatures of up to 100 degrees. Then, let’s go back to those winter temperatures. While they may stay above freezing most of the time, 40 degrees is still fairly cool. It’s important to keep these extremes for July and January in mind, realizing that the average temperature of 65 degrees does not occur every day. There are many times of year when insulation is necessary to maintain comfortable surroundings despite cold or hot air outside.
In either of these situations, you definitely want to keep the outdoor weather where it belongs — outside. You don’t want it creeping through your garage and into your house.
The ideal solution is an insulated garage door. Why? It offers several advantages.
Benefits of Insulated Garage Doors
If you’re asking yourself “Do I need an insulated garage door?” consider the following advantages you could enjoy:
- Energy Efficiency
Your garage connects to other parts of your house. It may have rooms above it and living areas adjacent to it. However, garages have different construction standards than other parts of the home. They have less insulation. This means the garage is a great source of energy loss. Your air conditioning and heating can easily escape through the garage. Additionally, the garage allows outdoor air to enter your home.
An insulated garage door acts as a buffer to prevent this air flow. Since your garage is one of the least energy efficient parts of your home, an insulated garage door helps regulate the temperature inside your garage — as well as inside your living space.
As a result, you save energy. You’re no longer wasting heating or cooling that is simply overpowered by a poorly insulated garage. It makes your home’s HVAC more efficient and your overall energy use more green.
An added benefit of this energy efficiency is lower heating and cooling bills and less strain on your HVAC system. When it is operating more efficiently, an HVAC system is less likely to need repairs and is more likely to have a longer lifespan. The final result is significant overall savings on your utilities.
Did you know insulated garage doors have a different construction than uninsulated doors? Insulated garage doors are lightweight and efficient, yet they are strengthened by their insulation to withstand wear and tear. Insulated doors have an added layer of polystyrene or polyurethane. This prevents the normal sagging, bending and ripping that often occurs over time with uninsulated doors, and it extends the life of the garage door.
Consider what a garage door typically endures. Storms and outdoor debris can cause extensive damage to garage doors. Even though Bakersfield, CA sees few rainstorms, wind and sunlight can still cause wear and tear. Additionally, forward and backward bumps from cars and kids playing ball against the door all take their toll. However, the added insulation makes the door more durable to withstand these conditions and situations.
An insulated garage door offers protection for you, your home and your belongings in several ways. First, it offers insulation against temperature. This helps protect any items you have stored in your garage. Do you keep any chemicals, cleaners or other liquids in the garage? Extreme heat or cold can cause dangerous situations for some of these products. By insulating your garage door, you prevent these extremes and make your garage a safer place to store these items.
The regulated climate can also protect your vehicle. When a car is exposed to extreme temperatures, a host of systems can be affected. Cold weather is harsh on belts, liquids, brakes electrical systems and tires. Hot temperatures make the interior uncomfortable to enter, and it can also be harsh on accessories such as window tinting and electronics. By keeping the temperature in your garage more comfortable, you save your car from some of this wear and tear and make it more welcoming to drive in the middle of a hot afternoon.
An insulated garage door can also add a level of security to your home. Older, uninsulated doors may be easier to break into. A durable, insulated door can help protect your home against potential thieves by offering a stronger barrier.
- Noise Reduction
How loud is your garage door? All garage doors make some noise, but lightweight doors without insulation are often the noisiest. This sound can be particularly disruptive if the garage is located under a bedroom. Waking a sleeping spouse, child or infant by opening and closing the garage door is a situation most people want to avoid. Insulated garage doors are quieter. The insulation offers a sound muffling advantage to keep your entries and exits more peaceful.
This sound buffer is also helpful to keep sounds inside the garage. If your garage acts as a game-watching man-cave, tool shop, ping pong arena or other noisy space, an insulated garage door can allow you to enjoy these activities without disturbing others.
The reverse works, too. If you spend a lot of time in your garage, your insulated garage door can help muffle any sounds from the exterior. If you want peace and quiet for hobby time, working out or other garage activities, your insulation helps provide a quiet environment.
- Temperature Control
Does your garage face east or west? If so, it probably heats up quite a bit in the mornings or evenings. This can make it difficult to keep warm air out and cold air in.
An insulated garage door helps keep this temperature more constant. Rather than becoming a sweatbox in the summer and an icebox in the winter, your garage temperature is better regulated.
- Alternate Use
Because your insulated garage door helps regulate the temperature, you can more easily use this space for something other than car storage. If you want to set up a living space or complete projects in it, you can do so more comfortably.
If you will be spending a lot of time in the space, an insulated garage door can also provide a more aesthetically pleasing atmosphere. These doors offer attractive finishes that will complement your living space. With an insulated garage door in place, you can transform the area into a comfortable workshop, bonus room, bedroom, craft room or other hobby space to enjoy.
Did you know garage door replacement offers one of the highest returns on investment among all home remodeling projects? Homeowners recoup, on average, 98.3 percent of the cost at resale. That means you get to reap all the benefits of an insulated garage door, and it ends up costing you almost nothing.
For ROI comparison, consider two other common remodels, kitchens and baths. A midrange major kitchen remodel offers an average return of 59 percent, and a midrange bathroom remodel recoups 70.1 percent. With such a great payoff, replacing your old, uninsulated door with a new, insulated door is a clear win.
- Pest Prevention
A mouse only needs a space the size of a dime to enter your home. An insulated garage door can help keep rodents out of your house.
It will be harder for pests to slip in through the garage door and set up their nest in your space. This can save you time and money on traps, poisons and calls to the exterminator. It also offers peace of mind, as you are surrounded by a more pleasant environment.
Can’t I Just Insulate My Current Garage Door?
To insulate your garage door, it is possible to add insulation to your current door. However, this is not a recommended solution. To do this, you must add insulation material to a door not designed to hold it. Additionally, insulation options such as insulation foam are typically created with flat spaces in mind. If applied to a garage door, the insulation material is subject to constant folding and bending. Over time, the insulation can flake or unravel. You’ll probably have to re-apply the insulation regularly. This could become costlier than purchasing a new door already equipped with insulation. It could also prove to be time-consuming.
Adding insulation to a door also adds weight. This can cause a weakening of the springs and cause the door to dip or break.
That means the better solution is to simply purchase an insulated garage door. Properly equipped with insulation, this design holds up better over time and offers fewer maintenance issues.
What Type of Insulated Garage Door Is Best?
If you’ve considered the question, “Do I need an insulated garage door?” and have determined this is a good solution for your home, the next decision you need to make is which type of insulated garage door to choose. Your two main options are steel doors and wooden doors.
A steel door offers several advantages:
- Low maintenance – Steel doors require little maintenance, making them a popular choice among homeowners seeking simple solutions. They withstand weather and use well.
- Energy efficiency – Steel garage doors offer high-quality insulation values that increase your energy efficiency.
- Economy – Steel insulated garage doors are typically more affordable than wooden doors. If you are seeking a more economical solution, steel is probably the best option.
- Design – Steel doors are available in many design options to suit many tastes and settings. With so many options, you’re likely to find something fitting for your home.
Wooden doors also offer distinct advantages:
- Custom-design – Wooden doors are often used to add a custom look to the home’s exterior. Wooden garage doors can be fit to match unique architectural designs. Their customization makes them a popular choice for homeowners who seek a personalized touch for their garage.
- Curb appeal – As a high-end option, wooden doors are often viewed as an attractive feature that can increase curb appeal and thus the value of the home.
- Sound-proofing – While any insulated garage door will reduce noise, wood offers better sound-deadening qualities than steel.
Since either material offers similar benefits of insulated garage doors, the ultimate decision typically boils down to your personal taste and budget for your door.
What About R-Values?
As you consider various insulated garage door options, it’s important to understand the terminology used to rate these doors. A garage door’s R-value indicates how well it will insulate your garage. It measures the door’s resistance to heat flow. The higher the R-value, the better the resistance.
Consider how you plan to use your garage as you decide what level rating you should seek for your door. If you will be using this area as living space, look for better ratings. If you don’t spend a lot of time in your garage, you may be happy with a lower rating. Keep in mind, though, that higher R-values help with energy efficiency in your garage and the attached home. The experienced professionals at King Door Company can use their extensive knowledge to help with this decision.
Your final step in selecting an insulated garage door is to locate a reliable company to supply your new door. It’s essential to choose a business that is worthy of your trust, will deliver what you need and will provide excellence in service and products.
King Door offers a long track record of success, with an extensive list of satisfied customers. We attribute our winning service to our distinct service advantages:
- Extensive experience – King Door has been an industry leader for over 30 years. The original owner, Roman Ruiz, still runs the company today.
- Professional excellence – Our highly trained technicians offer in-depth knowledge of insulated garage doors. Our employees arrive in clearly marked company vehicles to serve our clients with professionalism.
- Superior service – The King Door team is always available to answer questions. We make customer care our top priority.
- Accessible showroom – We offer a 4,000 square-foot showroom and parts store so our customers can view their options first-hand.
- Virtual design – Our customers can use a unique door imagination system to virtually try out new insulated garage doors on their home.
- Manufacturer warranties – Our quality products are all backed by trusted manufacturer warranties.
- Modern innovations – King Door offers the latest designs and technology. We continuously strive to improve our products to deliver energy-efficient, green ideas.
To start reaping the benefits of an insulated garage door, talk to an expert at King Door. Our insulated garage door expertise is unparalleled in the industry. Reach one of our experienced staff today at 661-397-2744 or through our quick contact form.
When Do I Need a New Garage Door?
Your garage door is a key aspect of your home’s exterior. It’s also integrated into your daily activities. Homeowners typically take both of these facts for granted. If you’re like many homeowners, you may miss signs you need a new garage door. This is because homeowners often overlook garage doors until they no longer work.
Once the door starts experiencing problems, homeowners wonder if they should repair or replace the door. Some even ignore the issue and simply hope the door continues to function. Others are unhappy with the appearance of their garage door but don’t want to spend the money on a new one if the old one still works.
The truth is, replacing a garage door can save time and money and raise the value of a home. While it can be a significant investment, these benefits make the project worth completing sooner rather than later. Therefore, it’s important to ask yourself: “How do I know I need a new garage door?”
Garage Door Getting Old? Time for a New One
If you’re wondering if it’s time to replace your garage door, watch for the following garage M.O.N.S.T.E.R.S. If you notice one or more of these red flags, it’s time to get a new garage door in your Bakersfield, CA-area home.
Does your garage door require significant maintenance? It’s a good idea to properly care for your garage door, and this includes regular maintenance. However, if your garage door needs lots of repairs and has become unreliable, it’s time to invest in a new one. Frequent maintenance on a door that should be retired can quickly add up to the cost of a new door. Stop pouring resources into your old door and install a new, reliable one that will require little maintenance for years to come.
Consider the appearance of your garage door:
- Does it match the rest of your home’s exterior?
- Does it add to your home’s curb appeal?
This is especially important to note if you have completed any exterior remodeling. Too many homes offer a gorgeous front entry, new windows and beautiful siding accompanied by an old garage door. Homeowners overlook this feature, either because they want to save time and money or they undervalue this piece of the home’s exterior.
This feature frequently makes up at least 40 percent of the façade of the house. Don’t let an outdated garage door detract from the appeal of your home’s exterior. If it doesn’t mesh with the architecture, get something that does.
This issue is challenging for homeowners to navigate since all garage doors make some noise. How can you tell if it’s too noisy? A new garage door runs smoothly and is relatively quiet. Over time, it may run louder. If you notice that your garage door has experienced a sudden noise increase, it is time to service your door. It is ready for an overhaul, at a minimum. It may need to be replaced.
How long does it take to open your garage door? When you push the button, do you experience a delay? While it might not be as fast as your smart phone, a healthy garage door should spring into action as soon as you activate the controls. If this is not the case with your door, you should have it serviced by a professional to determine if repairs are needed or if it’s time to replace the door.
Exposed to the elements, garage doors suffer from wear and tear. Dents, scratches, fading and other damage create a tired exterior. If your garage door has weathered car accidents and severe thunderstorms, it might look worse for the wear. You can repair dings for a while, but eventually, these imperfections take over the door and create an unattractive appearance you and your neighbors can’t ignore.
How high are your utility bills? Have they increased? Older garage doors lack modern insulation techniques that could save you a bundle on air conditioning and heating. Old weather stripping and bottom seals may have worn out. To reduce your utility expenses, consider replacing your old garage door with a new one that offers top-quality insulation for maximum energy efficiency.
Some homeowners decide to transform their garage space to make it something other than vehicle storage. If your garage is, or will soon be, a workshop, man-cave, patio area, garden shed or other repurposed space, you probably need a new garage door. Modern garage doors are available in contemporary designs that include stylish windows and beautiful finishes. These could greatly enhance your remodeling plans.
New garage doors have built-in safety features, including automatic reversal if they come into contact with an object while closing. If your door lacks these features, you are taking unnecessary risks. Modern doors also offer additional security. They help keep your belongings and family safe from both the weather and potential burglars. If you want better safety and security performance from your garage door, it’s time to get a new garage door in Bakersfield, CA.
Enhance the Value and Look of Your Home with a New Garage Door
Your garage door has a huge impact on the curb appeal of your home. If you want to know how to raise the value of a home, look into garage door replacement. It can complete a makeover and send your property’s curb appeal through the roof. In fact, garage door upgrades rank in the top five home improvement projects that generate the greatest return on investment. On average, these projects offer a return on investment of over 90 percent. This return is so great because of the significant impact a garage door can make on the exterior of the home:
- It offers balance: When a garage door doesn’t match the rest of the home’s architecture, the entire exterior is unbalanced. Homeowners often put a lot of effort into their front door but neglect the garage door. When you consider how much bigger and more prominent the garage door is, this doesn’t make sense.
- It offers curb appeal: If your garage door is a bland afterthought that blends in with the rest of the home, you’re not getting the most out of it. This feature is the first thing you see when you pull into the driveway and makes up a significant portion of the home’s exterior. With modern finishes, you can easily create an attractive combination of home and garage. Choose vintage details, unique finishes, attractive panels and other designs to make your garage stand out.
- It offers historic charm: How old is your home? The right garage door can help preserve a home’s original character. Has anyone altered its exterior since its original construction? Replacing the garage door can restore its charm. Hand-crafted garage doors, like those from Clopay, offer style and quality that make your home distinct. When you build it to your specifications to match your home’s style to a T, your new garage door can create stunning curb appeal.
- It offers resale value: Few features have the power to impact the curb appeal of your home like the garage door. If you are wondering how to raise the value of a home, a new garage door is key. When a home features a sharp exterior, it is more attractive to buyers. The new garage door makes a sale more likely, and it helps increase the price buyers are willing to pay.
A garage door that provides an attractive exterior, reliable functionality, safety and security pours instant equity into the home. You’ll see a great return when buyers are instantly attracted to your property. On the other hand, being greeted by an older, uninviting garage door can easily turn off buyers.
What Type of Door Should You Get?
Custom options for modern garage doors are nearly limitless. This might make choosing a new garage door difficult. Following are a few of the most popular options and the advantages each offers. Keep in mind that appearance is only one concern as you choose a garage door. Functionality and longevity are also top considerations.
The best-selling doors today are steel. They are very durable. The material is rust-proof and resistant to dings and dents. Steel garage doors are also fairly affordable. They typically cost less than other types of garage doors.
These designs are growing in popularity. Reminiscent of actual carriage-house doors, these offer windows at the top of the door and charming handles in the center. The attractive design of this style can provide a boost to a home’s curb appeal.
Like steel, this material is dent resistant. However, it is more rust proof than steel. It is also lighter, making the door easier to maneuver. Aluminum can also be designed to mimic the appearance of painted wood.
This material offers the most possibilities for customization of your garage door. It is flexible in terms of design, and it looks elegant and distinctive. Since wooden garage doors can be pricey, many homeowners choose faux wood, which provides the look of wood for a lot less money.
Insulated Garage Doors
No matter what material you choose, it’s important to consider insulation for your garage door:
- Do you have a room over the garage?
- Are any of your family members light sleepers?
Insulating your garage helps control the temperature of any rooms over the garage. It also makes the garage door quieter. To reduce both noise and utility costs, consider a well-insulated door.
How Can You Select the Best Garage Door for Your Home?
After reviewing the options and deciding you want to get a new garage door in Bakersfield, CA, the next step is finalizing your selection process. Even within each category of style and materials, there are myriad options. Since this upgrade can completely makeover your home and boost your curb appeal, it’s important to choose wisely. Here are a few tips to help you with this process.
Make It a Virtual-Reality Combo
It’s great to shop virtually for a garage door. Review your options online to get an idea of what you prefer. However, before you make a final selection, visit a King Door’s showroom. Garage doors may look different in person than they do on a website. Viewing them in reality will help you narrow your selection and ensure you choose a style you like.
Try It Out
Are you having a hard time picturing a new garage door on your home? Modern online design tools let you try the door on your home before you buy it. Clopay’s Door Imagination System allows you to upload a picture of your home, design a door and see what it would look like on your house.
Take a Tour
If you have an idea of what style you would like for your new garage door, look at other homes with the same design. King Door can provide reference homes to drive by. Seeing the garage door installed on a property can help you determine if it’s the right style for you.
Consider Other Factors
As mentioned previously, appearance is not the only thing to consider when choosing a new garage door. Also think about:
- What material will work best for your lifestyle and location?
- Which direction does your home face?
- Do you need extra insulation to withstand hot afternoon sun?
- Does your driveway see a lot of sports activity that may damage an easily dented door?
Choose the door that best matches your lifestyle.
Make Your Home Safer and More Efficient with a New Garage Door
Aesthetically, your new garage door can increase your home’s curb appeal and resale value. It can also boost your property’s energy efficiency and safety. Here’s how:
- A new garage door saves energy. With better insulation and construction, your new garage door can reduce utility costs.
- A new garage door is more durable. If you choose a well-insulated garage door, you will not only reduce your utility bills but also increase your garage door’s durability. You will enjoy greater longevity from your investment.
- A new garage door is quieter. A smoothly operating, insulated door offers a reduction in noise level for your home. Enjoy fewer interruptions and quieter surroundings.
- A new garage door helps protect your car and belongings. A modern door offers better construction and technology to keep your garage protected from the elements. It also provides strong materials to keep out intruders.
- A new garage door adds convenience. If you plan to use your garage for something other than vehicle storage, a new door can make this space more comfortable. You won’t have to bake in the sun as you work in your shop if you have a nicely insulated door. You can enjoy extra sunlight through the windows of a carriage house door. The new door creates a more versatile space to use as you choose.
Why Choose King Door for Your Garage Door Replacement?
You’ve answered three important questions. How do I know I need a new garage door? When do I need a new garage door? And what style is best if I get a new garage door in Bakersfield, CA?
The final step is to choose a trusted company for your garage door replacement. You want someone who offers experience, in-depth knowledge and superior service.
King Door offers a long history of successful projects and an extensive list of satisfied customers. Our multiple service advantages include:
- Over 32 years in the business. The original owner still runs King Door today. We are a trusted leader in the industry.
- Excellence in service. Our staff is always available to answer questions or address concerns. Customer care is our top priority.
- Highly trained professionals. Our technicians offer in-depth knowledge of our products and arrive in clearly marked company vehicles.
- Accessible showroom. King Door offers an 11,000 square-foot facility with a 4,000 square-foot showroom and parts store.
- Door Imagination System. Use Clopay Doors’ unique tool to virtually try out a new garage door on your home.
- Product warranties. We only sell products of proven quality backed by trusted manufacturer warranties.
- We respect your property and work hard to ensure you are happy. If a problem occurs, we immediately focus on the solution. Our team then follows up with prevention measures rather than try to place blame.
- King Door is constantly striving to improve our products with energy-efficient, green ideas and the latest in designs and technology.
When you’re ready to enhance your home with a new garage door, get in touch with the experts at King Door. Contact us today at 661-397-2744 for a quote. We’ll walk you through the process and help you find the perfect door for your property.