If you’re ready to replace your garage door, you’ll need to provide the measurements for the garage door opening. When you call your local garage door company to order a new one, they’ll ask you what size you need. An accurate measurement will provide you with easy installation.
So, how do you measure for a new garage door? To measure the garage door opening yourself, you need a tape measure, a level, a pen and paper. Use this garage door measuring guide to determine how to measure the size of your garage door.
Why Is Knowing the Garage Door Size Important?
Measuring the garage door rough opening tells you what size door to order. You can make the process of ordering a new door much smoother by measuring the garage door yourself. When you know the measurements, you will reap the following benefits:
- Protection for your car and other valuables: The purpose of a garage door is to protect your vehicle from harsh weather and vandalism. You may also use it as a room or storage area for your valuables. If you have the right size for your garage door, you’ll know that all your possessions are safe. You can drive into your garage without worrying about damaging your side mirrors. You could also seal up any gaps in your garage door opening, so a thief won’t come and steal your valuables.
- Awareness of any remodeling: You need space for the items in your garage, especially your car. If you don’t have enough room, you might want to consider expanding. The hardest thing to change is the headroom because it involves lifting the ceiling, which may interfere with a floor on the second level. If you’re going to enlarge your garage, you might need to hire a contractor. You could also make a new space for a smaller vehicle, like a golf cart or a lawnmower. If you’re not making any changes to the size of your garage, you should buy the same garage door size you had before.
- Freedom to choose: Once you know the measurements, you can pick a garage door that’s available in the size you need. You can call your local garage door company to tell them your measurements. They will provide you information about what garage door sizes are available. You could also choose a custom size for your garage door to fit your opening’s unique shape.
- Seamless installation: With accurate measurements, you can call your local garage door company and explain exactly what kind of garage door you need. If you guess what size you need, the technician may visit and find out that the door won’t fit. Instead, with the right measurements, you can make the installation process go much smoother.
How Do You Measure a Garage Door Opening?
How do you measure the rough opening of a garage door? Here are some tips to consider before you start:
- Provide measurements to the closest fraction of an inch.
- If you measure for a new garage door opening, check that the area has access to electricity. You will need power for your automatic garage door opener.
- Inspect your current garage door. Write down any irregularities or signs of damage you see on the tracks, springs or seals.
- Make sure the tape measure is level from one side to the other.
- If your current door is a custom fit, you may need to order a new custom garage door instead of one at a standard size.
- Note any ductwork or pipes that may obstruct the pathway of your garage door track.
If your home has more than one garage, you need to measure each garage door rough opening. Even if they look like the same size, you want to have an accurate measurement of each door.
Here are the steps for measuring a garage door:
1. Measure the Width of the Door
The width of your garage door includes the distance between the left and right sides of the finished opening. Use a tape measure to measure at the door’s widest point in feet and inches. For an accurate size, record the distance from more than one spot on the garage.
You should also note if there are any irregularities from one side to the other, like an unleveled side. Use a level to determine if your wall is even or not. If you have one unleveled side, you can change the size of the garage door seal.
2. Measure the Height of the Door
The height is the distance between the floor and the ceiling of the finished opening. Measure at the door’s highest point in feet and inches. Order the exact size door you need instead of allowing space for the door jamb or the seal.
Write down if you notice any irregularities in the height of the door, like an unleveled floor. Your garage door company should know about defects, so they can make adjustments as needed. If your flooring is not level, you can change the size of the garage door seal.
3. Measure the Side Room
Using your tape measure, measure the headroom. This distance consists of the top of the opening to the nearest obstruction. If you have ceiling storage in your garage, record the distance from the opening to the shelf. If you don’t have any blockage, the headroom is the opening to the ceiling.
You need three to four inches on either side of the door to allow for the vertical track and the extension springs. The inside of the garage door should have a wood jamb. Don’t include this frame in your measurements.
4. Measure the Headroom
Using your tape measure, measure the headroom. This distance consists of the top of the opening to the nearest obstruction. If you have ceiling storage in your garage, measure from the opening to the shelf. If you don’t have any blockage, the headroom is the opening to the ceiling.
Make sure the distance between the opening and the ceiling is at least ten inches to follow garage door header requirements. You need to make sure you have enough space for the torsion spring and garage door opener. The type of garage door you choose will determine how much space you need above the opening. Thicker garage doors, such as wooden garage doors, need more space above the opening for clearance.
5. Measure the Backroom
The backroom is the distance between the garage door and the rear wall of the garage. You need to know the length of the backroom, so you know how much space you have for the garage door to open into the garage. Make a note of any irregularities in the ceiling or walls.
The garage door should have plenty of room to open completely. You need to allow 18 inches of free space on top of the measurement of your garage door. If you have a smaller garage, you will need a garage door that fits in this tiny space.
What Is the Standard Size of a Garage Door?
What size are garage doors? Garage door sizes have increased over the years to allow space for larger cars. Some garages now are more square feet than the average home size used to be. So, how do you measure for a replacement garage door? You measure based on the space you need for your car and other valuables.
What is the most common garage door size? Garage door manufacturers offer garage doors that range from eight to 20 feet wide. The standard size of a garage door depends on the type of garage door you have. The style of dooryou choose will determine the size you need.
Single Car Garage Door Size
A standard single car garage gives you enough space for a sedan or SUV. Even if you have a two-car garage, you might have a separate garage door for each opening. The standard garage door opening size for a single-car garage door is eight or nine feet wide and seven to eight feet high.
Older homes have garage doors that are on the small end of the standard garage door opening size. However, house property sizes have increased over the years. Along with this increase, garage doors have grown to be nine feet wide or more. The height of a garage door has stayed the same since cars have maintained their size.
Double Car Garage Door Size
You might have two separate garage doors for your garage door bays. It’s much more convenient to have a two-car garage with a double-car garage door. You could also fit more than one car in your garage, so more vehicles can find protection from wear and tear.
Double-car garage doors are often 16 feet wide and seven to eight feet high. With a double-car garage door, you can have enough space for large cars with spacious mirrors.
Tall Garage Door Size for RVs and Specialty Vehicles
If you have a rack on top of your vehicle, you might need a door height taller than seven feet. Measure your vehicle to find out what dimensions you need. Tall garage doors are usually 10 feet tall or higher. These garage door sizes for the rough opening work for recreational and commercial vehicles.
Garage Door Thickness
You also need to know the thickness of your door so you can provide space for it. Thicker doorsare more durable and have more insulation. The material you choose will provide you with a specific type of thickness. Metal is the thinnest garage door material, while wood is the thickest.
Most of the doors we offer come with multiple one-inch layers so you can have a more durable and insulated door. Thinner doors are more affordable and easier to maintain. These garage doors give you the durability you need in a garage door:
- Avante: The Avante® Collection provides an aluminum frame with a 2-1/8 inch thickness.
- Canyon Ridge: The Canyon Ridge® Collection provides a steel frame with faux wood composite panels. These doors have a two-inch layer of Intellicore® polyurethane insulation.
- Classic: The Classic™ Collection provides a standard steel door with several insulation options. You can have one to three layers of steel on your garage door. One to two-inch Intellicore polyurethane insulation gives your garage door more durability. You could also have polystyrene insulation.
- Classic Wood: The Classic™ Wood Collection comes with a thickness of either 1-3/8 inches or 1-5/8 inches, depending on the model you choose.
- Coachman: The Coachman® Collection comes with one to two-inch Intellicore polyurethane insulation. You could also have polystyrene insulation.
- Gallery: The Gallery® Collection provides a standard steel door with several insulation options. You can have one to three layers of steel on your garage door. You could also add insulation to your garage door for more protection.
- Grand Harbor: The Grand Harbor® Collection has a two-inch thickness with a 1/2 inch composite overlay. This collection comes with an optional 1-5/8 inch vinyl polyurethane insulation.
- Modern Steel: The Modern Steel™ Collection offers a standard steel door with several insulation options. You can have one to three layers of steel on your garage door. You can also add polyurethane or polystyrene insulation.
- Reserve Wood: The Reserve® Wood Collection offers five layers of wood for the most significant insulation. Wood naturally provides the best insulation out of any garage door material. Five inches of wood will need more space but will keep your home safe and comfortable.
Contact King Door for Your Garage Door Needs
King Door provides quality garage doors and garage door openers for residents in the Bakersfield, CA, area. If you need a garage door replacement, we will measure and install the garage door to ensure you get the best possible fit. We also offer garage door repair services if you have any problems with your garage door in the future. Contact us online or call 661-397-2744 for more information about getting a new garage door.